Can I Jump Start a Semi Truck?
If you drive a commercial truck, at some point, you may have wondered, “can I jump start a semi truck?” The answer is yes. Knowing how to jump start a semi truck is useful knowledge to have, especially when traveling on busy Miami or Fort Lauderdale roads where you’re likely to find a secondary vehicle to help charge your battery. Read on to learn what you’ll need to jump start a truck, as well as the steps involved.
How to Jump Start a Semi Truck
To successfully jump start a semi truck, you’ll need the following:
- Safety glasses
- Battery charger with the correct voltage and heavy-duty cables
- Jumper cables that are 15 to 20 feet long with a 2-gauge thickness (minimum)
- Assisting vehicle with a battery of equal voltage (semi trucks are usually 24-volt)
Once you have what you need, take the following steps:
- First, put on your safety glasses.
- Locate the starter terminals of the truck. Clean off any rust or debris before connecting a cable.
- Next, turn off the electric systems like the radio before you begin connecting cables. Also, make sure the truck is turned off.
- Connect the positive (+) cable to the positive (+) terminal of the battery.
- If you’re relying on a second vehicle, attach the other positive (+) end of the cable to the second battery’s positive (+) terminal. Attach the end of the negative (-) cable to the second battery’s negative (-) terminal.
- Look inside the engine compartment of the truck and locate a metal plate that’s unpainted and free of rust. The air conditioner’s compressor bracket, engine manifold, or alternator bracket are solid options. Connect the other end of the negative (-) cable to the metal plate.
- Start the battery charger or the other engine if you’re using an assisting vehicle. Let the charger or second vehicle run for a few minutes.
- Start the semi truck with the dead battery. The engine should turn over. If it doesn’t, double-check the cables and connections. Wait for a few minutes, then try to start the truck again.
- Once the semi truck has started, disconnect the cables in the reverse order in which they were secured. Turn off the charger or assisting car.
- Let the semi truck run for about 15 to 20 minutes to ensure the battery is fully charged.
Get More Trucking Tips from Rechtien International Trucks!
Now that you know the answer to the question, “can I jump start a semi truck,” you can drive with confidence around Riviera Beach and Fort Pierce. Rechtien International Trucks is your source for truck driving tips, including tips for safer truck driving and tips for staying up-to-date with truck maintenance. If you have more questions about how to jump start a semi truck, contact us or visit us today!