What Are Some Safe Truck Driving Tips?
Safe truck driving in your new or used truck is one of the most important things you can commit to as a truck driver. You’re not just keeping yourself safe – you’re also keeping your fellow road users from harm. To stay safe while cruising between Miami and Fort Lauderdale, you should:
- Stay Aware
- Look After Your Truck
- Drive Slow in Work Areas
- Be Smart Loading Cargo
- Take Care of Number 1
Follow These Safe Driving Tips
- Stay Aware: You should always be vigilant behind the wheel. React as fast as possible to unexpected situations or road users who don’t understand how commercial trucks operate. Scan about 15 seconds ahead and check your mirrors every 8 to 10 seconds.
- Look After Your Truck: A poorly maintained truck can’t be trusted, so follow recommended service intervals to ensure everything from brake pads to lights works when you need them to. You should also make pre-trip safety inspections to avoid setbacks like having to jump start your semi truck or schedule emergency service like immediate tire replacement.
- Be Smart Loading Cargo: If you load one side of your truck with more than the other, your vehicle will handle unpredictably. If you stack cargo too high, you’ll create drag and lose maneuverability. If cargo isn’t secured, it could shift during transit and cause you to lose control.
- Drive Slow in Work Areas: Work zones present more hazards than your average stretch of road, including uneven surfaces, sudden stops, and moving workers. Slow down, obey all signs and signals, keep a sharp eye out for work crews, and maintain extra following space as you navigate them.
- Take Care of Number 1: Your driving is only ever as good as you are, so do your best to get enough sleep, eat right, and take plenty of breaks. If you feel fatigued, don’t push through it.
Get More Truck Driving Tips from Rechtien International Trucks!
The team here at Rechtien International Trucks near Riviera Beach and Fort Pierce is just as happy providing truck driving tips and organizational advice as we are introducing drivers to our new vehicle and used vehicle inventories. For any further advice or assistance, feel free to contact us today.